Fredrik chats with Dave Jones of Podcast index - a new open podcast directory and API, and also one of the drivers of a new podcasting namespace for RSS.
Podcasting as infrastructure has not advanced much at all in a long time. Dave, Adam and Podcast index wants to preserve podcasting as free and distributed, and also advance what the ecosystem can be - such as providing value.
The namespace contains down-to-earth things such as chapters and location tags, but also much more ambitious ideas. Part of the vision is to reimagine podcasting as a platform of value where listeners can more easily and naturally support not only podcasters, but also app developers and anyone else who might be involved. This is where the value tag and cryptocurrencies enter the picture.
We also discuss programming languages a bit - what it takes to entice you to really get into a programming language. Perhaps the specific languages we use are no longer as critical as they used to be?
How hard is it to set up your own podcast directory? Not that hard, says David, but keeping it within a sane budget can take some balancing. And if everyone supported Websub things wouldn’t be nearly as tricky.
Thank you Cloudnet for sponsoring our VPS!
Comments, questions or tips? We are @kodsnack, @tobiashieta, @antikristofferand @bjoreman on Twitter, have a page on Facebook and can be emailed at email@example.com if you want to write longer. We read everything we receive.
If you enjoy Kodsnack we would love a review in iTunes! You can also support the podcast by buying us a coffee (or two!) through Ko-fi.
- Podcasting as a platform for free speech
- Podcasting as a platform of value
- Take back the open nature of podcasting
- Apple or Google is not the center of the universe
- A big chicken and egg problem
- People have been wedging things in
- Picks and shovels
- The value block
- 100 Satoshis a minute
- If I know I can pay this podcaster
- A very steep learning curve
- Developers are busy
- Beyond the point where the language layer is the critical part of the puzzle
- npm audit fix and hope for the best
- Now you’ve got two stacks
- The reverse of JSX
- 1.3 million feeds
- Not as distributed as you’d like it to be
- Google reader bad vibes
- You just don’t get pinged sometimes
- You don’t have to be at the mercy of Google
- The days of free need to die
- Free is very expensive
- The silo companies
- But you don’t have to sell your soul
- AI your way into discovery
- Always human suggestion
- A personal relation of some kind
- Synapses firing in the brain
- Science our way out of every problem
- What makes artificial intelligence artificial
- Err on the side of freedom
- A de-humanizing force
- International fun time
Direct download: 396.mp3
-- posted at: 6:31am CEST